Sunday, April 13, 2008

What's on your mind?

I'm so glad that Senior Pastor is challenging the church to memorise scriptures. Not just a verse or two but whole chapters of Psalms. With a few skipped verses here and there, I have been able to memorise some of my favourite Psalms like Psalm 1, 8, 16 and 23.

I have since been inspired to add Psalms 63, 84, 90, 91 and 103 to the storehouse of my memory. What about Psalm 119? I think I need another big dose of inspiration from hearing Senior Pastor recite all 176 verses from this longest Psalm! But let's take up the challenge of memorising Scripture.

Psalm 16:8 says, "I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. "

How can we set the Lord always before us?

Memorising scriptures help us keep God's Word with us all the time. We are thus able to meditate on it day and night, with or without the Bible at hand with us (Joshua 1:8). This is the key to successful Christian living.

Let's revive the interest in scripture memory. It is an indispensable discipline in spiritual formation for a young Christian.

No comments: