Sunday, May 04, 2008

Psalm-thing for you!

I had an interesting dinner conversation with my daughter the other day. I asked her what the Fear of God means to a youth nowadays. She asked me how I had been able to grow so much in so short a time as a young Christian. Did I find the desire within to read and love the Word of God? Or did I follow what some leader told me to do? We talked about the pressures a young person faces these days and how difficult it is to find good models of those who consistently live out God's truth and the reality of the Christian faith.

My mind went back to Psalm 119 which we've just read for the week. If you manage to read all 176 verses of this longest Psalm in one go, I congratulate you! Psalm 119 is the psalm for a young person. In it, you will find precious nuggets of truth which will guide you in your walk towards a victorious life in Christ. One of my favourite portions is found in Psalm 119:9-11.

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."

PS. Pastor Julie will have a little gift for anyone who can memorise these verses and recite it to her in church this week!

No comments: