Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Time To Rest

A bad bout of stomach flu forced me into rest for two days. Two days of catching up on sleep, taking my time to slowly get out of bed, lingering over each meal and savouring the joy of just being able to eat.

I breathed more deeply, thankful to regain health and life. Simple chores I do everyday take on a new meaning when I do them with appreciation. Opening up the windows to the sky and the fresh air and watching my two resident mynahs pecking away in the garden was a joy to behold. Whether sparrows or mynahs, they remind me of Matthew 6:26-27, "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly father feeds them. Are you not more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? "

In the busyness of life, where stopping to rest has become a luxury, I'm glad for the daily reminder to place my priorities right as a citizen of the Kingdom of God where Jesus our Lord reigns as King !

I'm looking forward to 2008, the Year of Sabbath. It may take us some adjustment to enter into the spirit of the Sabbath. But we are going to enjoy the year with many opportunities to stop and thank God for creating the world as well as providing for His people, so that we can find freedom to enjoy the rest that He prescribes for us.

No comments: