Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sabbath is for God-Centred Relationships

The Year of Sabbath has provided a window of opportunity for us to maintain and repair the relationships in our lives. Pastor Poh Yeang Cherng shares a personal testimony of what this has meant for him:

“In this season of focussing on interdependence, God spoke clearly to me about going back to mend some strained relationships in my life. While these were not full-scale conflicts, the presence of a few of these certainly affected me.

I realised that these unresolved conflicts reduced my capacity for existing relationships because love, trust and compassion were eroded. I also got tired easily, preferring to be alone just to avoid any situation with relational stress. Not good at all.

Repair and maintenance simply meant taking active steps to reconcile. I initiated meetings with a few people and asked for forgiveness for my part in the conflicts. I also rested my expectations and left room for God to convict them about their parts.

Romans 12:18-19 says this, “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.”

When it was done, I felt so much freer, knowing that I had obeyed the Lord to do "as much as it depends on me".

Will you seek rest from strife in this season too?

No comments: